New Residents

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Welcome to Homewood! This section provides new residents with details about setting up utility services and other important information.

Address Change

By law, motorists must notify the Illinois Secretary of State's office within 10 days when your address or name changes (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 3-416, 6-116, and 6-511). Your driver's licenses/state ID card file and your vehicle registration file can be updated by visiting a Secretary of State facility, or by submitting your change of address online at the Secretary of State website.

Alarm Permits

Residents are required to obtain a permit for all burglary/fire alarms within the Village. Permit application is available at the Police Department. There is a $25 one-time fee. There are fines associated with the failure to obtain a permit alarm.

Pet Licensing

Registering pets with the Village is important to maintain public health and it helps the police reunite a lost pet with its owner. All dogs and cats older than six months are required to have a current animal tag. Proof of a rabies inoculation made within the last year must be presented at the time of purchase.

Animal tags expire April 30 and must be renewed annually. The fee for dog or cat animal tags is $10.00 for the first pet and $5.00 for each additional. No more than four dogs or cats are allowed per household.

Contact the Finance Department at (708) 798-3000 regarding any questions pertaining to pet registrations.

Water Service

Village residents receive Lake Michigan water and are billed monthly. New residents must complete an application for water service at Village Hall, 2020 Chestnut Road. Renters and commercial property owners also might need to submit a water deposit. Learn more about water billing.

Waste Disposal

The Village of Homewood does not provide waste disposal service. Instead, three private waste disposal companies are licensed to provide waste disposal service in Homewood: Homewood Disposal Services, Inc., Waste Management, Allied Waste Transportation. Residents need to establish waste disposal service directly with one of the licensed waste disposal companies.

Garbage and yard waste are collected on a weekly basis. Recyclable waste is collected every two weeks. Yard waste collection requires the use of stickers that can be purchased at many local stores. Residents who do not want to use garbage stickers can contact their waste disposal company to set up a monthly service. The company can provide a special toter (garbage cart) to collect yard waste on a monthly basis.

Recycling does not require any stickers, and recyclable materials should be placed in the wheeled recycling cart(s) provided to each household. Learn more about waste disposal services.

Utility Services

To set up utility services in Homewood, contact these local providers:

  • Nicor Gas service is established by calling 888-642-6748.
  • Commonwealth Edison service is established by calling 800-334-7661.
  • Comcast Cable and AT&T provide cable television and internet service for Flossmoor residents.
  • Comcast: 866-594-1234
  • AT&T: 800-288-2020

Village Updates

The Village of Homewood communicates with residents and visitors via a biweekly e-mail and social media. Get the details about Village updates.