Building Department

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Building Department issues building permits, inspects new construction and administers the village sign ordinance. Residential building permits are typically processed in two to four weeks. Commercial and Industrial building permits may take longer, depending on the scope of the review. Copies of the building codes are available for review at the Village Hall.

For any questions regarding building permits and inspections, contact the Building Department at 708-206-3385.


The Homewood Municipal Code limits placement of temporary signs, including political signs, to private property. Section 86.8 (4) of the code authorizes display of signs of political, civic, philanthropic or education organizations temporarily displayed for noncommercial purposes, provided they are on private property.

If the building inspector sees a sign in the parkway or other public property near a residence, he will, if possible, place a notice at the residence front door directing that the sign must be moved onto private property within 24 hours. If the sign is not moved within 24 hours, the village will remove the sign.

Building Permit Applications

Please Note: All applications must be filled out in person at the building department in village hall.

Building permits are required for all new construction, demolition and most home improvement projects, including:

For complete details, or if you are unsure whether your project requires a permit, contact the Building Department at 708-206-3385.


View building permit fees.


Most construction projects require a building permit before work can begin. To schedule an inspection, contact the Building Department at 708-206-3385 at least 24 hours in advance of when the inspection is needed.

Contractor Registration

All contractors performing work in the Village must be registered. Registration must be renewed annually. Download and fill out a Contractor Registration Application.

Request a list of registered contractors.

If you have a complaint concerning a contractor who has performed work on your property, please complete the Contractor Complaint Form and submit it to the Building Department.


If your construction project requires the use of a dumpster, you must obtain a Temporary Dumpster Permit. Only licensed scavenger services are permitted to deliver and remove roll-off dumpsters and their contents from private property in the Village.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer