Lock It or Lose It is a national crime prevention program to encourage drivers to take a few simple precautions to make sure valuables are not stolen from their vehicles.
In Homewood, the goal of the program is to reduce vehicular burglaries by creating awareness of the need to properly secure vehicles so that thieves do not have an opportunity to steal valuables.
Did You Know?
- A thief can steal valuables from your vehicle in less than 30 seconds.
- It takes less than 20 seconds for you to remove them.
- A vehicle with an unlocked door or an open window is an easy target.
What You Can Do
You can protect your valuables (phone, laptop, tablet, wallet, purse, etc.) from theft by following these simple precautions:
- Always lock your vehicle's doors and remove valuables or at least keep them out of sight.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is unlocked.
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the door.
- Never leave your car keys in plain view or in an easily accessible area.
- Use tire and/or wheel locks.
- If you must leave valuable objects or packages in your vehicle, lock them in the trunk.
- Park in well-lit areas when possible.
- Avoid parking near large vehicles and bushes as they provide cover for thieves.
- Call 911 if you see somebody looking into windows, pulling door handles or checking for alarms by bumping windows or bumpers.